Whenever I think of any kind of Pasta, college days come to my mind, when we treated having pasta as a celebration! Today Pasta usually ‘happens’ when my younger cousins drop in for a meal. It’s a great way to impress kids 😄 Personally, I prefer white sauce than red sauce.
Fusilli is comparatively a thicker pasta and takes longer time to cook than other pastas.
Fusilli – 2 cups (before cooking)
Tomato – 2
Onion – 1
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Vinegar – 1 tsp
Red chilli sauce – 1 tsp
Ketchup – 1 tbsp
Chilli flakes – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Dry oregano – 1 tsp
Before you begin:
Cook Fusilli as per packet instructions. In case, instructions are not available, boil water, add Fusilli when the water starts boiling. Boil for 3-4 minutes till you see the pasta has swelled in size and check for doneness.
They say there are authentic ways of checking whether Pasta is cooked or not — Throw them on the wall, if they stick, it’s done. I doubt if anyone of us would be ready to mess with our home walls for this when we can always taste and check!!
How I prepare:
- Chop the tomatoes roughly into big pieces and make puree.
- Meanwhile, check the pasta. Tasting is the best way to check if it’s cooked well enough. Once it’s cooked drain all the water and run the Fusilli through cold water or just pop in a few ice-cubes.
- Take olive oil in a pan. Add 1 thinly sliced onion. When the onions are golden, add the tomato puree.
- Let it cook till the raw flavour of tomato goes. Add salt, a tsp of vinegar, red chilli sauce, tomato ketchup, chilli flakes and pepper powder.
- Add the cooked Fusilli and mix well.
- Sprinkle oregano or mixed dry herbs and serve hot.
Any pasta like Spaghetti, Penne, Macaroni, can be used for this recipe. Refer this link to learn more about types of Pastas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pasta
A couple of drops of soya sauce also adds a twist in taste. But make sure u add very little, or it will affect the red colour of the sauce! If you are serving for a cheese lover (or if it is you😀), grate some mozzarella cheese (any cheese will do the magic) over the pasta and enjoy watching them enjoy this yummy fusilli in beautiful red sauce 🙂