Busy life. Manage house, cook food, go for work, what about some rest? When you think of a minute of pause, you are already thinking of what to carry for lunch?! Of course, the answer to this question may not be difficult always. But when it’s difficult, once a while, Lemon Rice can be the answer 😉
Cooked rice – 2 cups
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Chana dal – 1 tbsp
Green chilli – 2 chopped
Groundnuts – 10
Ginger – 1 inch piece chopped
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Turmeric – 1 pinch
Tomato – 1
Lemon Juice – of half lemon
Coriander leaves – 2-3 sprigs chopped
How I prepare:
1. Heat oil in a kadai/pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they crackle, add chana dal, green chillies, groundnuts and a pinch of hing (asafoetida) – most important, gives a good flavour.
2. After a minute, add the chopped tomatoes.
3. Add turmeric, salt.
4. When the tomatoes are cooked well, add the cooked rice to this pan.
5. Mix well.
6. Add lemon juice.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.
8. Serve with a Raita of your choice.
You may skip the tomato mentioned above, and that would be the authentic Lemon Rice. This is just my version of it. I love lemon rice with tomatoes since gives more tanginess. Sometimes I end up adding capsicum or green bell peppers too. It gives the lemon rice more substance or probably I am biased because of my love for capsicum 😜