Brussels Sprouts look and taste like mini cabbages. I always prepare them only one way and love it. It is simple and can have variations as per your taste. If you love cabbage, this is much similar in texture too – albeit a bit more compact and dense. It is one of those veggies that is hyped to be not appealing to all. You know, like it is not fashionable enough to love Brussels Sprouts! Why, I have never understood. I don’t blame the people who genuinely do not like them, maybe they never tried roasting it crisp and charred! When roasted, it has an amazing flavour and blends well with all the seasonings.
There is no particular way of roasting vegetables. Everybody has their own way and level of roasting! Choice of seasonings is also subjective. Most common rivals are Pepper and Chilli Flakes. They are brothers from step-mothers for sure! 😜 At least I never mix them up in my cooking, why encourage rivalry!!
The tastiest Brussels sprouts dish I had was in Rhode Island in a very small Chinese outlet. It was way past lunch time and this was one of the places open for lunch. They had this appetizer ‘Crispy brussels sprouts’ with some delicious soy sauce based dip – the only vegetarian option!
Brussel sprouts – 250 gms
Olive oil (or any oil) – 1-2 tbsp
Red chilli flakes – half tsp
Garlic powder – half tsp
Basil leaves – half tsp
How I prepare:
- Chop off a tiny bit of the head of each brussels sprout and wash them. One layer might come off while washing. I discard those.
- Halve each brussels sprout and put them in a pan. My packet had various sizes, hence I cut a few big ones into four.
- Add oil, chilli flakes, basil leaves, garlic powder and salt. Toss well.
- Let them brown a bit. Sprinkle some water (optional – I do it only because my little loves it well cooked), close and let cook.
- If required, taste test for tenderness. And it’s done!!
You can have these as a snack too or as a side to your regular meal. Brussels sprouts apart from being tasty are also very nutritious and high in fiber. Try this easy and quick-to-dish-out recipe and watch yourselves eat and feel healthy.